Every e-commerce store should be built with two extremely important things in mind – security, and great customer experience. Website should be easy to use, simple to navigate, and all the process from picking the right product to checkout should be as clear as possible. If you have lots of visitors in your store, but not much sales, the major problem could be the checkout page.
What defines a good checkout page
1. Customer should clearly see that the payment process will be secure. Make sure to add the logos of the payment processors you use in the system.
2. Simple and easy filling forms, no unnecessary information. Checkout page should be clean, without any distractions or unnecessary information. Especially – banners. Customer should concentrate only on completing the purchase.
3. Basket summary should be clearly visible on the checkout page.
4. Use billing address the same as shipping address by default. Most of the customers use the same address anyway, so no need to show loads of fields for anyone.
5. No forced registration. The customer who’s going to buy again and again, can use registration form to save all the personal information. But if someone just want to make a quick purchase, there should be a possibility to do that as a guest. Not all of us like registration so why to abandon those who don’t?
Great extension to simplify OpenCart checkout page
There is one extension that I use to make OpenCart checkout page as simple as possible – AJAX Quick Checkout. It replaces default checkout page with one-page easy to understand form. You can customize it’s layout, add or remove fields, make fields required / not required, and much more.
The extension is not free, but it does all you need from a great checkout page – it’s easy to use, simple to customize, fast, mobile-friendly, and it suits any well-built OpenCart template. It also gives an ability to login directly from Facebook, Google+ or LinkedIn accounts. Highly recommended!